Discover Houses for Rent in Mission, TX
Mission is found within Hidalgo County. It neighbors McAllen and La Joya and lies along the Mexican border. Families searching for homes for rent can explore many amenities and civic locations, such as Mission Regional Medical Center, Catholic War Veterans Park, Bannworth Park, St. Paul's Church, Wingstop, First Street Park, Mayberry Pool, King's Chinese Buffet and Foy's Supermarket.
History of Mission
- The Coahuiltecans, a large group of Native Americans that subdivided into numerous tribes, were the early inhabitants of the area of contemporary Mission.
- Subsequently, Spanish settlers came to the area, establishing missions and dividing the land.
- The Rancho La Lomita was a ranch that housed a famous church called the La Lomita Chapel. Mission's name comes from this ranch.
- The production of oil fostered the city's growth.
- The citrus industry, a staple crop in the region, is a vibrant part of Mission and the surrounding Rio Grande Valley. The Texas Citrus Fiesta, an annual event that features a number of participants from all over Texas, is held in Mission.
- Mission is sometimes referred to as "The Tourist Mecca of South Texas."
- Former U.S. Senator and Treasury Secretary Lloyd Bentsen, famed for his "I knew Jack Kennedy, and you're no Jack Kennedy," line, settled down in Mission.
- Other famous individuals who have lived in Mission include William Jennings Bryant, Tom Landry and Kika de la Garza, who was a former U.S. congressman and agriculture secretary.
Resources for Renters
- Mission's website will help enlighten renters about the services and options open to them in the city. Pages include a detailed description of the Mission Historical Museum and its mission to the residents of the city. Other pages include fiscal transparency, elected officials, a calendar and links to a diverse mix of resources - these include links to Hidalgo County resources and news and media in Mission.
- Parents can visit Mission Consolidated Independent School District's website to determine which schools will be best for their children.