Discover Houses for Rent in Wichita Falls, TX
Wichita Falls is located in Wichita County and neighbors Burkburnett, Iowa Park and Henrietta. The city is home to the Sheppard Air Force Base and the Newby-McMahon Building, known as the world's smallest skyscraper. Wichita Falls is accessible by a number of major highways, Greyhound buses and a few short-line railroads. Homes for rent in the city offer access to a number of athletic facilities, parks and higher education institutions.
Historical Facts for Future Renters
- The area around Wichita Falls was settled by Choctaw Native Americans in the early 1700s. Settlers arrived in the area around 1860 and named the city Wichita Falls in 1872.
- The waterfall that the city was named after was destroyed in a flood around 1886. The city built an artificial waterfall in one of the community's parks in the 1980s in response to tourist requests to visit the "Wichita Falls."
- Wichita Falls has a long list of notable residents, including members of rock band Bowling for Soup, Rex Tillerson, chief executive officer of ExxonMobil, and rodeo champion Morgan Evans.
- There are 37 parks in Wichita Falls, the biggest of which is Lucy Park, home to the recreated namesake waterfall.
Useful Resources for Renters
- History buffs can take the Wichita Falls Journey Through Time, a self-guided tour with narrated audio. The program is sponsored by the Landmark Commission and highlights historic neighborhoods, museums and, of course, the historic waterfall.
- To view the city's ordinances, announcements and departments, visit the Wichita Falls official website. Renters can also find information on local businesses and attractions.
- For information on Wichita County, including politicians, historical information and the judicial system, visit the county's website.